No offb in kernel-image-2.4.16-powerpc

Greetings,

First, thanks (Dan?) for a brand new 2.4.16 binary kernel image. I think everything in it works that didn't before, and will convert to ext3 soon. Cool! I've built openafs for it, will test soon, and upload if it works (can't test openafs-mp, sorry).

Unfortunately, like 2.4.12, although CONFIG_FB_OF=y, it behaves as if there is no offb! Here's what I get from dmesg, line 10 for both is the same:

Kernel command line: root=/dev/hdb6 keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1 video=ofonly

In 2.4.8, lines 42-47 read:

devfs: boot_options: 0x0
MacOS display is /bandit/MacPicasso540
Using unsupported 1600x1200 MacPicasso540 at 82400100, depth=16, pitch=3200
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 200x75
fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /bandit/MacPicasso540
input0: Macintosh mouse button emulation

In 2.4.16, 43-44 have:

devfs: boot_options: 0x0
input0: Macintosh mouse button emulation

No search for the MacOS display, attempt to start offb, etc. at all!

Note 2.4.12 had the same behavior. Is this a known problem? If not, consider this a "bug report". Since my video card (MacPicasso 540, Cirrus Logic GD5480, no, clgenfb doesn't work) is unsupported, this is a showstopper for me, and may render new kernels unusable for many other as well...

If I have some time, I'll try checking Makefiles etc., then stick a couple of printks in the offb init code, build, and see what happens, but may not be able to until January. :-(

Thanks,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>