Re: X on Quicksilver G4

On Fri, 2001-11-30 at 00:29, Jens Kutilek wrote:

> I compiled a new kernel using the benh source, and included the rivafb
> driver. When I boot, i have to add "video=ofonly", otherwise the display
> goes to standby on startup.

rivafb doesn't work on PPC out of the box yet. Ani Joshi has patches,
AFAIK Ben was going to include them in his tree but I don't know if they
are in yet.

> I tried to configure X using the configure script of the xserver
> package. I set the driver to fbdev. Now the only video mode that works
> is 640x480 at 256 colors.

With video=ofonly, the video mode can't be changed.

It's unlikely that there will ever be decent support for nVidia hardware
on PPC, even Ani has pretty much given up on them.