Re: Now Apple has it's winmodem ;(

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 11:41:30AM +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >Has anyone seen something about softmodems in Darwin code ?
>
> Apple don't own the source for this driver, I already asked them...
>
> All we can do is manage to get in touch with conexant to make sure
> they will build a linux/ppc driver or let one of us do it.

Please at least ASK them if they'll GPL the driver before just assuming
that they won't, and letting them that is legitimate for them to release
a proprietary soft modem driver.

You might mention that the Linux kernel is not supported by the kernel
developers when a non-free module is present, which will result in lower
popularity for the iBook, which means fewer people buying iBooks, which
means fewer machines sold for Conexant to get a cut of.

Speaking of taint, my kernel is complaining about the i2c-keywest driver
not having a license.  Is this resolved in your kernel tree?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a growing closer.  It beats the