Re: yaboot fails on iBook 2001

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 06:26:00PM +0100, Siggi Langauf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install Debian GNU/Linux from current powerpc images, but
> I'm not even able to boot. The installation manual hasn't been very
> helpful (it didn't even tell me how to boot from CD by pressing "C" at
> boot time, so I tried "boot cd:\\yaboot" from OpenFirmware, first...). But
> maybe someone with a bit more powermac experience can help me.
> Pointers to useful documentation are _very_ welcome, of course!
>
> my Hardware is an iBook 2001 (600MHz G3)
> I'm using the official CD images, burned on CDR. Maybe there's some
> special option needed for cdrecord that I missed?
>
> When booting (either by pressing "C" at boot time or by typing
> "boot cd:\\yaboot" at the OpenFirmware prompt), I get this:
>
>   Welcome to yaboot version 0.9
> * Wrong partition 1 signature
>   Config file read, 528 bytes
>   Debian GNU/Linux PowerPC (potato)
>   boot: (pressed enter)
> * Wrong partition 1 signature
>
> * Image not found.... try again
> * WARNING ! default_close called!
>   boot:
>
> (and so on. doesn't matter if I type "debian" or "debian-novideo" at the
> boot: prompt)
>
> Obviously, yaboot tries to tell me (the lines marked with "*" above) what
> went wrong, but I don't get it. So how can I get the installer booted? Has
> anybody tried that hardware so far?
>
> Thanks for any hints,
>
> 	Siggi

I'm not familiar with this situation. One data point, is which CD are
you trying to boot? I believe CD #1 is the only one that's possibly
bootable, and maybe not on the 2001 hardware.

Here are some instructions for booting the installation system from
files placed on your HFS partition (out of the newer install manual).

   Files for Open Firmware Booting in NewWorld Macs

For NewWorld Macs, you can boot the installer directly from files
placed on an HFS partition. This method is particularly appropriate
for machines with no floppy drive such as the iMac.

Copy (not move) the following four files onto the root level
of your hard drive (this can be accomplished by option-dragging each
file to the hard drive icon). Make a note of the partition number of
the MacOS partition where you place these files. If you have the MacOS
pdisk program, you can use the L command to check for the
partition number. You will need this partition number for the command
you type at the Open Firmware prompt when you boot the installer.

(I don't know how the CD's are laid out, although I have one on the
way... these are in the current/powermac folder in the ftp archive.)

            linux

Kernel binary from the powermac folder.

            yaboot

Standard bootloader for NewWorld Macs.

            yaboot.conf

Configuration file instructing the bootloader.

            root.bin

RAM disk image containing the Debian installer.

The yaboot.conf file must contain the following four lines:

    image=linux
    label=install
    initrd=root.bin
    initrd-size=8192

If you edit yaboot.conf, be sure not to disturb the Unix
linefeeds. If you use MacOS newlines (just carriage returns), the
bootloader will be unable to read the file.

    Booting NewWorld Macs from OpenFirmware

You will have already placed the kernel, yaboot, yaboot.conf, and
root.bin at the root level of your HFS partition. Restart the
computer, and immediately (during the chime) hold down the Option,
Command (cloverleaf/Apple), o, and f keys all together. After a few
seconds you will be presented with the Open Firmware prompt:

0 >

At the prompt, type

0 >  boot hd:x,yaboot

replacing x with the partition number of the HFS partition
where the kernel and yaboot files were placed, followed by a
return. In a few more seconds you will see a yaboot prompt

boot:

At the yaboot prompt, type install followed by a return.
The Debian installation program should start.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |