Re: installation success using 3.0.16 on iBook Dual USB / HOWTO

> > If the disk is mounted the reread partition table ioctl needs to fail,
> > period (there's no way for the kernel to update all the internal disk info
> > related to the partition table with a disk in use).
>
> Right.  What happens if it's still mounted is you should get a warning
> about how it failed.

You get -EBUSY, and perhaps a kernel log message (SCSI at least). This
happening on the iBook I assume we're talking about IDE disks here, not
something weird like USB disks routed via SCSI emulation of some sort?

There's one thing that bothers me WRT ide_revalidate_disk: it clears
drive->busy before waking the device queue (but maybe that's required in
order to get things started at all). For all I can see, reading the
partition table back in should have completed at that point, though (and
everything the kernel needs in order to access the device should be
valid). How a sync immediately after this should crash is beyond me.

> > And then what? The kernel doesn't care about OF after early boot init,
> > right?
>
> My (admitiedly wierd/wild idea) is that it's not that OF is still doing
> something, but that OF opened something on the disk when it was still
> alive, and we left the HW in a bad state.

That should show up way earlier I think.

	Michael