Re: Installation Success on PowerPC SMP G4 w/ ADC monitor - but whence GLX?

On Sun, Nov 11, 2001 at 08:36:26PM -0700, Derrik Pates wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Joseph Fannin wrote:
>
> >      Conversely, I see just the opposite behavior (on an i386 machine) -- if
> > r128.o is loaded before or without agpgart.o, hardware accel hangs the
> > machine.  When agpgart is loaded before r128, r128 prints some extra
> > agp-related stuff to the console when it initializes -- and then hw accel
> > works for me.
>
> In the case of PowerPC systems, the UniNorth AGP controller support is
> still incomplete, and has some continuing "issues". I have noticed that,
> at least on PowerPC systems with Rage128 boards, DRI likes 16bpp depth,
> but 24bpp will throw up a black window, and proceed to hang the system
> hard.
>
> Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
> dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN

    FWIW, I should have said "hardware accel hangs the X server" rather than
"machine".  I was able to get control of the console back if I ssh'd in and
killed the process asking for the 3d accel (usually a screensaver in my
case) as long as I used I different signal -- I think it was -QUIT.

    I should have guessed that agp didn't work on PPC from the context.

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"Bull in pure form is rare; there is usually some contamination by data."
    -- William Graves Perry Jr.