Re: trouble building discover on powerpc

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:38:41AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Is there something unusual about the powerpc kernel?
>
> discover appears to build fine on almost all Debian architectures --
> except powerpc.
>
> The error is:
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I. -I.. -g -O2 -Wall -Wp,-MD,.deps/ethernet.pp -c ethernet.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/ethernet.lo
> ethernet.c: In function `ethernet_detect':
> ethernet.c:181: structure has no member named `id'
>
> The full build log is at:
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=discover&ver=1.1-2&arch=powerpc&stamp=1004241871&file=log&as=raw
>
> Can anyone diagnose this problem?

Try looking at that function? :)

Result is not a kernel structure.  Result is a discover structure.
Discover has piles and piles of special-case code for PPC; as best as I
can tell it was written several major versions of discover ago.  When I
tried a year and a half or more ago, it was already rotten.

The special-case code needs to be taken out and shot.  PCI detection
should work just as normal.  Using Open Firmware for this is a bad
idea.