Re: Freezing up on Powerbase 180 - brand new install

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 11:44:21PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> So I started witha brand new set of partitions, freshly initialized, and did
> a new install with b-f 3.0.16. It went very smoothly, although still waiting
> 1/2 hour with the extracting whiptail dialog on the screen. I used tasksel

this is because whiptail is the last package to be extracted, and
after that debootstrap doesn't send any more messages to dbootstrap
so the dialog just sits there doing nothing, whats really happening is
debootstrap is running dpkg --install --blah --blah --blah.

probably fixes to both debootstrap and dbootstrap are needed to
resolve this.

maybe ill take a break from yaboot decruftification and do some b-f
decruftification since nobody else seems to want to fix this..

> to ask for the desktop package, and then asked for dselect so I could get
> jed also. I started to scroll through dselect, and no more than 30 seconds
> later it had frozen solid again.

dselect is a fairly memory intensive program (reference: much whining and
bitching from 4MB 486 users) therefore i would suspect your RAM is
faulty.

> Then I opened nano to edit a config file again. It gave me the exact same
> behavior, freezing at the exact same point. (This is the completely fresh
> install.)

now nano is not something i would suspect for being a memory hog, but
you never know.

> I have the same versions of dselect and nano, and jed for that matter,
> installed on my newworld machine, and they give me no problems whatsoever.

this rules out defective libraries.  i presume you use the same
kernel?

> I think the jed problem was due to all the crashing. But the nano and
> dselect problems seem to be hard failures on the oldworld. They are both
> dependent on libncurses5.
>
> When I went back in to the machine, it failed to start. init.d/rcS tried to
> clean /var/lock, /var/run, and /var/run/utmp, and couldn't find any of them.
> The system halted after trying to start syslogd.

sounds like your filesystems got fscked.

> These are obviously very damaging type crashes. Let me know what steps I can
> take to narrow down this problem further.

I would have to say broken hardware, but then we are talking oldworlds
so thats redundant <ducks>

seriously if i had to guess i would say ram, or perhaps your disk is
faulty and when you start hitting swap things get screwed.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/