Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On  25 Oct, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:
> On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 00:19, Michel Lanners wrote:
>
>> - make the iDCT and motion compensation of the ATI chip available under
>>   Linux. Single most usefull improvement.
>
> Unfortunately, it's also the least likely to happen.

What was the problem again? I uderstand it is lack of documentation, but
what exactly is holding ATI back? They did make the documentation for
the other features available, after all.

>> Also for comparison, a Celeron 600 with an ATI Mach64 (Mobility M1,
>> really), using the Gatos Xv-enabled drivers, with MTRR set, plays smooth
>> DVD at 30%-40% CPU usage. Keep in mind that CPU provides MMX
>> acceleration which is heavily used for DVD playback.
>
> How do you measure the CPU usage?

Yeah, lame top ;-)

> Peter Surda suggests that top doesn't
> tell the whole truth. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost his mail
> explaining how to get more accurate numbers, but it should be found on
> Xpert or l-k.

Maybe run it under time? Doesn't give absolute CPU usage, but at least
it can do comparison.

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |