Re: Trouble copying a large number of files to last ext2 partition

check out the tune2fs program, but you can't change the number of
inodes with this program.  the reserved space can be, though.

tar the files up and compress them "cd tar Icf /tmp/tarball.bz ."

you can just put the tar file on the hfs partition, but you might be
better off just sticking it somewhere safer while you re-mkfs the
partition.  use the -v flag of mkfs to check how many inodes it is
creating, etc.  you only need to store the tar file until you finish
this step and then untar in onto the new file system.  you don't
have to untar that file until then.  it all only takes a couple of
minutes.

read the man page for tune2fs (e2fsprogs package).