Re: G4 netbooting with two DHCP servers.

> > and enet:0,bootme with default-gateway-ip=my.192.dhcp.server
>
> What a strange syntax... what does the "bootme" do? For that
> matter, what does the "0" do?

Okie..  it is kind of a complicated story, but the point is that
your dhcp servers network interface must be on the same
subnet as your clients and the subnet you want them to
boot on.  This may seem kind of obvious, but
sometimes you could have an alias.  The dhcp subnet
must not be an alias.

The 0 is where you might put an address of a tftp server.

For example, typing

load enet:192.168.2.1,someoddballfile

at the open firmware prompt will make OF grab an IP
via DHCP and if it is on the right network it can
connect to 192.168.2.1 via tftp and grab
the someoddballfile.

Then you can "load-base" "load-size" in that order
in OF and then you can "dump" to see the contents
of the file.

If this file is a valid bootscript written in forth,
you can boot off it as well.  Type "go" for that.

All this is automated by typing
"boot enet:192.168.2.1,somefile"
or setting boot-device appropriately.

So the 0, indicated you have no preference of
which tftp server to contact, or presumably which
dhcp server either.

As long as "your" dhcp server is advertising
in its DHCPOFFER packets that it has the magic
file the OF is looking for, OF will happilly abandon
whatever dhcp server it might have grabbed onto
first in order to get the file it is looking for.

That file in my case was called "bootme".

Peter