Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> takes to compile a kernel on my 200MHz 604e is long enough to
> watch an entire movie.  On TV.  With commercials.

Hmmm... Apple system with crippled slow memory bus? My LongTrail
has the same CPU, but compiling a kernel doesn't take that long.

*Mumble grumble*  Almost all commodity computers come with crippled
memory buses, some more crippled (like the old ibooks*) than others.
You get what you pay for, machines with uncrippled buses, even a
measly Samsung Alpha box (256 bit with 100 MHz DDR-RAM), cost an arm
and a leg.

You may also want to check your disc through-put too.

*I bought one of these things knowing about its crippled memory
bus.  Fortunately, speed was not my primary motive for buying the
thing.

Cheers,

Kin Hoong