Re: XFree86 4.1.0 r128 driver compilation

Whether or not you get accelleration in the fbdev depends on whether the
framebuffer driver you're using supports it, and whether you enable it as a
kernel option when you boot your machine.

On the x86, the VESA2 framebuffer driver is easy to set up but does not have
accelleration.

My compaq laptop uses the Mach64 chip.  This is documented to be accellerated,
but when I try to use it, the most spectacular thing happens to the LCD screen,
it looks like someone is taking a blowtorch to it from the back.  It gives on
the urge to turn the power off, and quickly.

I am not entirely certain that XFree86 uses framebuffer accelleration if it is
available though.  But I would suspect that r128 is probably the one where
framebuffer accelleration is most likely to work.

Note that there are two kinds of accelleration to consider, 2D and 3D.  2D
accelleration speeds up conventional X drawing, like drawing lines as vectors
rather than as a sequence of pixels.  3D accelleration requires that you get DRI
working.  Most people have an easier time getting 2D accelleration working than
#d accelleration.

Here's a question - what's a good way to make a simple benchmark of 2D
accelleration?  For 3D, most people usually report the framerate of glxgears, or
for more in-depth testing, quake running in demo mode.  But I haven't found a
simple way to test 2D accelleration.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford