Re: G3's, G4's, Altivec, DVD's, iBooks, and TiBooks

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 01:08:35PM -0500, Brian Hicks wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:40:08PM +0200, Henrik Edlund wrote:
> > On 23 Oct 2001, Michel D?nzer wrote:
> >
> > MD> It might be. On this good ol' PowerBook with a 400 Mhz G3, about a third
> > MD> of the frames are skipped or dropped. And as the software seems to be
> > MD> improving rather quickly in this area, the new iBooks might soon be well
> > MD> enough for smooth DVD playback.
> > MD>
> >
> > Wouldn't it though not be false marketing (and hence illegal) to claim
> > that the iBook2-500 can play DVDs when it drop frames? I believe you could
> > get a court to rule that DVD playback means 0 frame drops.
> >

> How many frames does the apple DVD player drop, though?  I'm almost
> certain it's nonzero on my Pismo 400.

I didn't notice any dropped frames on my iBook2.  Haven't tried the
MacOS 10.1 player yet.

As a side note, has anyone done the bus speed modification on the
iBook2-500?  Any pointers on moving the resisters?  I've never actually
soldered anything before..  I plan to try it when I order the 30gb IBM
travelstar drive.

I would be really annoyed at Apple's secrecy if I wasn't so happy with
my older iBook2 (I bought the combo drive version about a month ago).
As it is I'm just annoyed.

--
Rick (rick@kuroyi.net)
http://dxr3.sourceforge.net

I think the slogan of the fansubbers puts
it best: "Cheaper than crack, and lots more fun."