Troubles sidegrading

I've been running a 2.4.10-pre12 kernel from sources I rsync-ed from
Monta Vista and had been running XFree86 4.1.0 from sources I downloaded
from www.xfree86.org on an Imac.  I decided it was time to re-enter the
debian fold, so to speak, and added "woody" to my apt sources list.  I
downloaded the sources for 2.4.10 and compiled/installed following the
procedure at
http://www.debian.org/releases/potato/powerpc/ch-post-install.en.html to
install a custom kernel.  To the best of my knowledge, I "make
menuconfig"-ed it up the same as the 2.4.10-pre12 I had compiled
earlier, but when I boot with the woody package, the screen blanks after
sending out some messages, the last being "openpic exit."  With the
working version, I next see the penguin image and the message "Fixup res
1 (101) of dev 00:10.0: 400 -> 802400."  I can connect via ssh, so it
just seems to be a problem with the console display, but I just can't
figure out what.  dmesg for either kernel seems to be the same.  I can
only see two differences, the kernels aren't the same size and the ticks
per jiffy differ by one (249677 - good, 249678 - bad).

I'm also having trouble with the XFree86 from debian (with the MV
kernel).  When xdm tries to start, it crashes.  According to
/var/log/xdm.log it could not open the default font 'fixed'.  According
to some earlier posts on this list that means I need a font server.  I
have two installed in xfs and xfs-tt, both of which are running.  I
tried changing the port in XF86Config-4 to 7110 and that didn't help.  I
don't get the "could not init font path element unix/:7100" error so xfs
is being recognized as the server.  I redirected errors to
/var/log/xfs.log, but none are being sent there.  Just the xdm error,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've completely run out of
ideas.