Re: mount confused between hfs and ext2?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Bill Lovett wrote:

> /dev/sdb4 is Linux native, which is what I want. But if I do this:

Has it been mkfs'd as an ext2 filesystem?

> mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt -t ext2
>
> which should be correct, I get a "wrong fs type, bad option, bad
> superblock on /dev/sdb4" error. Yet mounting with -t hfs works just
> fine. What's up with that?

Most (non-DOS) fdisk tools are non-destructive - i.e., they change the
PARTITION TABLE only, leaving whatever data was in the partition wherever
it was found. I'm guessing there was an HFS/HFS+ partition there before?
If so, just making a partition doesn't make the filesystem, you still have
to mkfs it. If not, and it's already been mkfs'd, then you need to read
the 'e2fsck' manpage - you may have to try to find a superblock duplicate
to try to fix the FS.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN