Re: TiBook Dual Display

> > Lack of developer manpower (did you just volunteer to do it?). The
> > technical specs are available to XFree members, the kernel infrastructure
> > required to support mutiple framebuffers is in place for ages. Just make
> > aty128fb register two separate framebuffers,
>
> I question if it would be a good idea to do it on the framebuffer
> device level at this time, because you'd have to either virtualize the
> the accel engine or only be able to use acceleration on one head in X,
> partition the video RAM statically between the heads, ...

Sure, as a first approximation I'd perhaps recommend to go without
acceleration anyway. I'm not sure how much more synchronization than plain
'wait until accel idle' would be required (which happens anyway IIRC).

Static partitioning of vram is a given in that setup - I'd consider it a
Big Problem as soon as XFree86 can switch color depth on the fly :-)

> > X gurus please correct me if the current X release already supports
> > Xinereama on rage128 out of the box
>
> It doesn't, but Ani was working on it at one point. Don't know if he's
> got anything working yet.

We'll hear about that from him, I'm sure.

	Michael