Re: Lombard: Woody: dpkg install failure

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 12:01:36PM +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Thanks to everyone, Ethan especially, in getting me to the install
> phase!
> I'm trying to install woody on a Lombard powermac laptop. I'm installing
> woody because woody correctly tries to install yaboot, whereas potato
> does not.
> I'm booting from hd, then doing a kernel install over NFS (laziness - my
> directories aren't properly named on my shared HFS partition), and I'm
> trying to install the base system over http.
> I get the following install error while trying to install the base
> system, which does not allow me to proceed:
> "Failure trying to run:
>     chroot /target dpkg --force-auto-select --force-overwrite -force"
> This error appears to occur only once the packages have been
> successfully downloaded.

debootstrap became broken when a new ppp package entered woody
recently.  (it added a dependency on libpcap0 which debootstrap
doesn't include in its base list).

i am afraid you will have to wait for the next release of
boot-floppies, or sweet talk someone into building a set with the
updated debootstrap (i wrote an NMU for it which aph uploaded

Ethan Benson