Sound problems

Hi,

I've got a tibook G4 running sid and benh's latest kernels.  I've
loaded the dmasound_pmac module and it seems to be OK.  However I have
lots of troubles making it work.  For instance, when KDE starts, it
complains:

Sound server fatal error:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
Can't set playform format(_format = 17, asked driver to give 16, got 32)

Playing from apps like videolan often results in a couple of seconds
of very scratchy audio, followed by static, followed by silence.
Mixers seems to have no effect once the silence appears (everything's
muted).  I don't know what to try at this point.

dmasound_pmac appears to load OK:

dmasound_pmac: Awacs/Screamer Codec Mfct: 1 Rev 3
dmasound_pmac: found Keylargo rev 2 or later - H/W byte-swap disabled
PowerMac Screamer  DMA sound driver rev 016 installed
Core driver edition 01.06 : PowerMac Built-in Sound driver edition 00.06
Write will use    4 fragments of   32768 bytes as default
Read  will use    4 fragments of   32768 bytes as default

Any assistance appreciated!

Thanks,
John

--