Mapping cmd to alt in X with linux keycodes

Greetings,

Using Linux keycodes, I'm trying to map the command keys (next to the spacebar on an ADB keyboard) to alt using xmodmap, but nothing I've tried works. [I use the alt keys for button emulation, keycodes 56 and 100; would like command for alt since alt is next to the space bar on all of my other arches' keyboards.]

showkeys in the console reports them as codes 125 and 126, and xkeycaps has them both as 0x73=115. But the following in .Xmodmap does *not* work:

keycode 115 = Alt_L
keycode 125 = Alt_L
keycode 126 = Alt_L

The command keys do nothing here...  Any ideas?

TIA,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>