Re: Help:-- Beige G3 boot problem

From: Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net>
To: PowerPC <debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Help:--  Beige G3 boot problem
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 22:21:34 -0800

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 08:02:52PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> and nvsetenv (without arguments). Also, you might try booting into Open
> Firmware using the cmd-opt-o-f combination at boot. If you get an OF prompt,
> you can then check the list of devices OF recognizes using
> dev / ls
> and check the list of valid aliases using
> devalias

Dear Mr Tillman and Mr Benson,
I am using the 2.2R3 cds. Here is the output of the dev /ls and devalias (not all of it)..

dev / ls
   /pci@00000000     [grackle]
     /mac-io@10      [heathrow]
       /ide@20000    [heathrow-ata]
         /disk@0,0   [atapi-disk]
       /ide@21000    [heathrow-ata]
         /disk@0,0   [atapi-disk]

the output of devalias is..
     pci    /pci@00000000
     mac-io /pci/mac-io
     ide0   /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
     ide    /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
     ata-int /pci/mac-io/ide@20000
     ide1   /pci/mac-io/ide@20000

note that ofpath reads aliases, it prints the canonical path.

> The idea is to see if ofpath is returning a valid hardware path for your
> drive. You might also try typing in ofpath's result literally into
> nvsetenv boot-device path-ofpath-returns
> because some versions of ofpath on some machines were putting bogus
> invisible characters into the path. btw, the path should end with :0 despite
> the fact your root is on partition 6.

yes and in fact that broken ofpath is what is in potato.

the output of ofpath for /dev/hda6 is

now what do i need to give the arguments for the nvsetenv command?

I am from a wintel world and if this seems to be elementary please excuse the newbie.

Thank you gentlemen for your help,
sridhar kodela

Ethan Benson
<< attach3 >>