Re: Help:-- Beige G3 boot problem

> hi all,
>     I am trying to install Debian PPC distribution on a Beige G3 (oldworld
> mac) with 256MB RAM, 6GB IDE disk.  I use the boot and root disks, finish
> the install by selecting "Boot from hard disk"  the script says install
> Quik, then I execute the shell and issue the command
> nvsetenv boot-device `ofpath /dev/hda6`  where 6 is the partition on the
> hard drive that has the root partition.
>     Then I reboot the system and the system will not boot, all I get is a
> blinking floppy with a question mark on it.
>
> what am i doing wrong?  Please help.

Is this install using the 2.2r3 CD-ROM? You might boot back into the install
system to check the output of

ofpath /dev/hda6

and nvsetenv (without arguments). Also, you might try booting into Open
Firmware using the cmd-opt-o-f combination at boot. If you get an OF prompt,
you can then check the list of devices OF recognizes using

dev / ls

and check the list of valid aliases using

devalias

The idea is to see if ofpath is returning a valid hardware path for your
drive. You might also try typing in ofpath's result literally into

nvsetenv boot-device path-ofpath-returns

because some versions of ofpath on some machines were putting bogus
invisible characters into the path. btw, the path should end with :0 despite
the fact your root is on partition 6.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |           Chris Tillman                              |
|   `-    |           tillman@azstarnet.com                      |