Update on the problems with X (was: Re: Success installing woody with a 9500/180MP and problems with X)

On Sep 30 2001, Thomas Powell wrote:

	First of all, I'd like to thank everybody that has already
	replied to my question with hints or suggestions. Thank you
	very much. Your help is appreciated.

	I am still not able to use the X server while running Debian
	(using the imstt or fbdev drivers).

	On the other hand, when I had MacOS installed here, it ran
	flawlessly. Also, I have one LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 CD here that is
	able to use this card just fine with the Xpmac X server, but
	since I want to use Debian, I'll struggle a little bit more
	here.

> I am using a 4mb imstt128 on a dual processor s900 (same motherboard
> as 9500).

	That's nice to hear. This is, in fact, the first SMP box that
	I use, despite the fact that I am still only using UP kernels
	up to this moment (more on that later).

> I can get up to 1600x1200 with the fbdev or 1280x1024 with the imstt
> driver - both at 16 bit color depth. The relevant section of my
> XF86Config-4 is:

	Great. Thanks for your section. I'll try it later.

> What I thought strange about the original post was that the card
> didn't show up in the lspci output. FWIW, I have support for the ims
> rolled into the kernel - a 2.4.4 bk.

	Yes, this is strange (the card is, after all, connected, of
	course), but I thought it was remarkable and then I sent the
	lspci output with my earlier message.

	Searching google, I found a post of a person saying that his
	IMS card wasn't being listed with lspci with some kernels and
	that he upgraded and it worked fine.

	So, my first reaction was to grab a new benh kernel. I rsynced
	BenH's 2.4.10-ben0 and compiled it, but it Oopsed consistenly
	after setting the ADB mouse driver or ide driver (when I had
	it enabled).

	Installing Debian's kernel-image-2.4.8-powerpc also produced
	an Oops (but I don't have it installed anymore). When I
	compiled my own kernels, I also disabled the Altived support,
	since I read it might cause problems with kernels and the
	9500/180MP does not have support for it.

	BTW, is there any interest in a (handwritten) decoded Oops of
	this hang? Do I decode an Oops for PPC the same way I'd do
	with x86? Should I still use ksymoops?

	I don't know if the problem with the 2.4 kernels is that I am
	using the woody gcc (i.e., too recent to compile a kernel?),
	if I am doing something wrong or if the ADB driver in BenH's
	tree is unmaintained (it wasn't compiling and I had to change
	a ":" after the new licence directive for modules to a ";").
	Perhaps it was broken on purpose to avoid wrong compilations?

	Anyway, I am able to use the 2.2.19 kernel that comes with
	Debian stock, but since it doesn't list the card in the lspci
	output, I suspect that the X server won't be able to use it
	(in the logs, the X server only lists the PCI devices that
	lspci already lists and -- I assume -- these are the only ones
	that it is trying to use).

	I'm compiling a new (stock, Alan Cox's) 2.2.19 kernel to see
	if the problem with booting is just restricted to 2.4 kernels.

	So, any further help is wanted. Does anybody has any working
        2.4 kernel that I could download to make diagnostics with this
        machine?

	Thank you for all your support, Roger...

P.S.: I'm trying to do my homework regarding Linux running under PPC,
but seems to not be that easy. :-( Is this situation any different
with NewWorld macs?
  Rogério Brito - rbrito@ime.usp.br - http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/