Re: Problem booting stable cd 1 on ibook2

On Sun, Sep 23, 2001 at 10:28:19PM -0600, Derrik Pates wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Rick Haines wrote:
>
> > What are the problems caused by following the instructions in the first
> > url?  They worked fine for me.
>
> If you boot classic MacOS after installing Linux and yaboot following the
> notes on xiph.org, MacOS will happily go and unbless your boot loader,
> leaving your system happily unbootable. Ethan recommends (and quite
> correctly) making the partition that yaboot uses of type Apple_Bootstrap,
> so that MacOS will leave your bootloader alone. With that type, OF knows
> what it is, and will read and use it, but nothing else that depends on
> partition types will touch it. (I've had it happen myself, so I learned
> the hard way.)

I see.  I have not had this happen yet (I've booted MacOS once after
installing Linux).

He does mention this on the web page but apparently didn't know why it
happens.  Has anyone emailed him about it yet?  Now when it happens to
me I'll know why and can correct it.

--
Rick (rick@kuroyi.net)
http://dxr3.sourceforge.net

I think the slogan of the fansubbers puts
it best: "Cheaper than crack, and lots more fun."