DNS wierdness on a TiBook running unstable

I use my Tibook both at home and at work. At work, I use the built in
ethernet, and at home the airport.

For the most part it works great. In fact perfect. It is the nicest and
most stable piece of computing hardware I have owned.

I have a bizare problem, however. When I move between home and work, I
switch the ethernet from the airport and the 100 base-t (e.g., 'ifdown
eth0; ifup eth1' or 'ifdown eth1; ifup eth0'). Due to the firewall at
work, I have different DNS servers for each location (all taken care of
with scripts called during ifup/down). This all seems to work great. In
fact, I recall not having any problem with this set up a month or two
ago. Recently, however, DNS does not seem to work after the switch. I
can ping the DNS servers (or any numeric address), but ping cannot
resolve any names. Galeon cannot seem to resolve any names either. The
bizare thing is that dig, host, and the deprecated nslookup have no
problems...

I have even tried switching which adapters are automagically brought up
in /etc/network/interfaces, and running /etc/init.d/networking restart,
but without any different results. The only thing that seems to result
in the needed apps (Galeon really...) resolving names is setting the
default adapter to my current location, and restarting (I hate to
restart a Debian box for anything other than a new kernel... It just
seems... wrong).

Any ideas?

Gregory P. Keeney
Mad Computer Scientist