Re: XFree86 update question

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 08:11:16PM -0700, Laurent de Segur wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did my home work, and still get bitten by this keymapping problem.
>
> I added append="keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1" in my yaboot.conf, and now
> I get the XFree86 to play nice and give me the right keymapping.  The only
> trouble is that the keymapping for the console before X starts is now wrong.
>
> I know this since I have netenv installed, and it won't work correctly.
> Actually, while booting if I hit keys, I can see that they don't map
> correctly as they output to the console.
>
> Same story with virtual consoles after X started. Keymapping is all screwed
> up inside them too (so no way to find out what keys under this mapping I
> should enter to go back to X.)
>
> It seems that the append="keyboard_sends_linux_keycodes=1" option has fixed
> the problem with XF86, it's just that now that the console has a broken
> keymapping. Is it one or the other?
>

> I have a kernel-image-2.4.8-powerpc needed for the iBook 2001 because of
> aty128fb support (as mentioned earlier with my do-quiesce screen mail)
> My other email mentioned a problem both compiling 2.4.8 and 2.4.9 from
> kernel-sources so I am kinda stock with the binary image only.
>
> Is the keyboard USB on the new iBook 2001? It looks like it, since the
> keymapping isn't broken at boot time until USB gets loaded and replaces OF
> driver.
>
> If someone can give me a pointer, I would sincerely appreciate.

runing "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" as root should allow you to fix this,
select choose (1. select keymap from arch list, and go from there)

I find choosing apple usb means my command key is alt in console, but alt is
alt in X as it should be, so I chooise standard and console and X are the
same.

        See You
            Steve

--