Re: xine 0.5.2 and performance

On Tue, 2001-09-04 at 04:45, Rob Latham wrote:

> In april, Michel posted deb's for xine-4.0.01.  video plays very nice,
> and audio stays in sync pretty well.
>
> I stole siggi's debification of xine-ui and xine-libs 0.5.2 and
> rebuilt them ( heh, i'm impatient: i want to watch movies on a flight
> tomorrow :>  ) but now sound plays really badly.

It's a known problem that their 'improvements' made things worse for us;
Bastien Nocera put up a patch from the xine-user list at

http://hadess.net/files/ppc/xine-ppc-sound-0.5.3.patch

which works fine for me. Unfortunately video/audio sync is still bad
with dmasound, maybe alsa would be better.

> my main question is how can xine-4.0.01 be so much faster than
> xine-0.5.2, considering that there have allegedly been big performance
> improvements in xine since 4.0.01 ... or maybe there haven't been any
> improvements after all.  Michel: did you just use the stock compiler
> optimizations when you built your xine debs ?

Pretty much, yes. I assume only sound was worse for you with 0.5.x? It
seems to be better in general here.