Comment regarding kernel version

Hi,

I noticed that after installing either 2.2, either 2.4 pre-built kernel
binary package, I end up getting a kernel version with an appended string
(either -pmac, either -powerpc.) If I write a driver for this installed
kernel, should I change the version in the header version.h by appending the
string manually? If I don't and version dependency is use (automatically),
the module won't load on kernels that folks build themselves (I know, I
tried.)

What should I do if I still want to have version dependency turned on?
Any reason why this string is present in the version string (it can't be
even guaranteed that it will be the same in future versions.) Having the cpu
inside the version looks redundant to me since I get the package from the
platform directory already.

Thanks for your help,

Laurent