Perl-Problem

Hello all,

I seem to have a serious problem with perl.

I tried to install xmms from sid, which coinstalled sid's perl.
(Don't do that stuff after midnight 8-/.
Back in woody, if I install or reconfigure anything I get an error
with following output:

ursa:/home/georg# dpkg --reconconfigure gs
Richte gs ein (5.50-8) ...
Can't modify goto in lvalue subroutine return at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Base.pm line 24, near "}"
	...propagated at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/base.pm line 18.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Iterator.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 7.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 7.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Log.pm line 8.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Db.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Db.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 22.
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von gs (--configure):
 Unterprozess post-installation script gab den Fehlerwert 255 zurück
Fehler traten auf beim Bearbeiten von:
 gs

So it seems there is something messed up with perl.
As I'm not experienced with perl or whatever that problem generates,
has anybody a hint, please, how to proceed with that kind of problem.

Any help greatfully appreciated

TIA

--
mfg