Re: A couple of more issues...

What we could do is reference the machine by model and the year it was born.
Apple is less likely to release two machines of the same kind in the same
year (As we could witness during the last MW...)

We could also use the Apple tag number for the machine (SKU MM/xxxx)
although it's not really easy to remember.

For outside developers what would make the most sense would be to designate
the machine the same way as they are described internally during the
development phase (iBook 2001 = P29) or by their codename (iBook 2001 =
Marble).

I like the codename designation, and I believe there are a few mac sites
with a chart showing equivalence between models and codenames.

But from what I read on this list previously, some people seem to favor the
marketing designation of the machine, which as you pointed in your email,
can get really confusing.

There were a time when Apple used numbers for its models which made it
really simple to frame a model, that was when they had more than 20
platforms in their catalog, Performa anyone? SJ's return brought many
changes.

Laurent