Problems Mounting HFS on Mac & Linux

Hi all!
When I did all the partitioning required for the installation of Debian, I left a 200 MB chunk to be used as an HFS exchange volume. Today, after I have got most everything sorted out, I decided to initialize it, create it, in other words, get it working. HD Setup wouldnt let me format just that little chunk of the disk, it said it had to wipe out everything, etc, etc, so I decided to use mac-fdisk under Linux. I created a new partition with the free space, called it "exchange" and made it of type Apple_HFS. Upon restarting into MacOS, however, it did not show up on the desktop and HD Setup does not list it as one of the partitions (in the List of Volumes it shows upon startup). I have a feeling there's something I'm missing here: would someone please point out what it is?

Thanx.

Paul