Re: XMMS + Ogg = hiss?

Bastien Nocera <hadess@hadess.net> writes:

> Quoting Michel Dänzer <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch>:

> > Anthony Lau wrote:

> > > I've been encoding some of my CD's into Ogg RC2 files using
> > > GRIP. ogg123 plays the resulting files fine, but XMMS just
> > > produces hiss. i386 version of XMMS plays the same files just
> > > fine.

> > > Anybody else having this problem?

> > Yep, it's the usual endianness bug.

> Certainly not, Jack and Xiph are both coding Ogg Vorbis on PPC
> machines...  I'd rather think it's a problem with either the sound
> output plugin or the driver/hardware

It's an xmms problem.  But which distribution is this?  The problem
was fixed in testing, IIRC.  I had a look, and the xmms folks were
just passing a 0 to the 'is_big_endian' field of the library call,
possibly assuming that no one used big endian computers...

--
David N. Welton
   Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/