Re: Xvideo acceleration: GATOS for PPC?

Hi Michel,

On  29 Aug, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:

>> > False alarm, they also use memcpy. In fact, the code looks very similar to
>> > plain XFree86, so I'd be surprised if it makes any difference.
>>
>> Did you look at the r128 driver only? My test showing the decrease in CPU
>> load was on a Rage Mobility-equipped Dell laptop (i.e Mach64-compatible
>> using the ati driver).
>
> Nope, I looked at the mach64 code as well. Looks like slightly modified r128
> code. The only real difference seems to be that GATOS supports additional
> video chips, but that doesn't apply to us.

Hmmm..... strange, then. I tried the GATOS drivers on my TiBook (with
Josh's fix -- thanks), but they give the same performance as the
standard one, plus a (probably) endianess bug: they seem to 'reverse'
successive image blocks on screen; probably 4- or 8-pixel-wide blocks...

To sum up my performance comparisons so far, all with XFree 4.1.0 from
unstable, and vlc 0.2.83:

- Mach64/i386 without GATOS: no Xvideo (driver is broken); vlc uses 45%
  + 16% cpu (two 'consuming' threads); X uses 25% cpu.
- Mach64/i386 with GATOS driver: Xvideo works, vlc uses 25% (other
  threads insignificant), X uses between 2% and 5%
- Voodoo3/i386: Xvideo works, X around 25% and vlc around 30% (roughly)
- Rage128/ppc: Xvideo works, X between 10% and 20%, rest consumed by
  vlc.

The Mach64 is on a Dell laptop w/ Celeron 600, the Voodoo is a PIII/666
desktop, and the ppc is my TiBook/400.

So the question is: why does X on the Dell use so little CPU, and why
can't we achieve the same thing on ppc (the Voodoo was for comparison
only)?

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |