Re: tiBook(Titanium), Debian install problems (mac-fdisk, 30GB)

Ethan,
thanks for the prompt reply.

( I suggest adding these infos and the necessary video=ofonyl
option to the debian install docs. mac-fdisk-basics could use a
version number and date, too. All the information out there is
still confusing. When the installation is done we will help
improving the state of the documentation.)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 03:37:46AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:22:31PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > The files yaboot, yaboot.conf, root.bin and linux copied to the
> > 2nd partition. Then I can boot with "boot hd:10,yaboot"
> > and get into the installer.
> > However after deleting the big HFS partition and creating
> > Apple_bootstrap (with b) and swap (1GB) with c and / 19GB with c
> > the kernel panics.
>
> kernel panics after writing the partition table are common, and not
> really harmful (just annoying) its actually panicing when mac-fdisk
> asks the kernel to reread the partition table.  after a reboot the
> partition table is almost always fine and properly written.
>
> > OF can then send me to "boot hd:12,yaboot", which boots the kernel
> > but panics when trying to mount the root ramdisk.
>
> i think this is due to 3.0.13's root disk being corrupt.  i have found
> that the powerpc root disk is too large so its getting trunicated when
> written into the 1.44MB image.

Is it possible to get the good longer version somewhere?
I wonder though, why we could boot into the installer when we did not
touch the partition table with woody's mac-fdisk.

> > If I use pdisk for MacOS and do the partitions I get the same
> > symptoms.
> pdisk for macos is broken dont use it.

Will it be fixed at some date?

> > Questions:
> > Do you think mac-fdisk(aka pdisk) might not create good partitions
> > due to the size of the harddisk?  Is there a way to find out?
> > Obviously apple's OF does not have a problem with this, but the
> > linux kernel (tried 2.2.18) has.
>
> mac-fdisk in woody creates good partition tables, the one in potato
> did not unless you paid attention and did it right (mac-fdisk-basics
> explains the issue).
>
> > It there a way to boot from an ext2 partition directly from the
> > yaboot prompt? How would the syntax be?
>
> boot: hd:3,/boot/vmlinux root=/dev/hda3 ro

> > Am I missing something crutial here?
>
> please send output from mac-fdisk -l /dev/hda (you managed to boot it
> once

Will do.
Frank is working on it right now.
	Bernhard
ps.: Not subscribed to the list, Frank and I appreciate cc's of
relevant replys.