Re: Trouble with the FTP download of a debian CD image

> I've been trying to download potato (an iso image of around 630 MB)
> from ftp.stealth.net.
> My ftp client supports resuming, and the server does too.
> Twice, with different clients, I have waited for the file to download
> to finish, only to watch in horror as the filesize climbs past the
> size it should be, the "Time Remaining" stays stuck at zero and the
> tranfer speed stays up at a high (realistically varying) number.
>   In the finder the file I'm downoading is now at 750 MB and this
> clearly means that its another night completely wasted.
>
> I will try another FTP site, maybe I should have done that for the
> second try, but this still seems ludicrous.
>
> Has anyone had this problem before?

I haven't. But i haven't tried to download those large images either.

One possibility, are you downloading in binary mode? If in text mode, it
would be 1) invalid when you finished and 2) probably adding CR's everywhere
it finds a LF, which might account for the growth you're seeing.

Are you aware that you don't need the CD image to install? For Potato, you
just need a mirror of the current/powermac directory plus base2_2.tgz and
drivers.tgz. There are links to the installation manual on the debian home
page.

|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |
| : :'  : | debian-imac:    <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> |
| `. `'`  |      . oo       Chris Tillman                        |
|   `-    |     (   -)      tillman@azstarnet.com                |