Re: lazy saturday notebook comparo (long)

--- Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 12:27:54PM -0700, Russell
> Williams wrote:
>
> > How do you protect your laptops?
>
> if the powerbook is new enough it will have
> OpenFirmware security
> features which will prevent booting, or booting with

The iBook2 is new enough, isn't it?

> alternate boot
> media.  combine that with yaboot's password
> protection and you will
> have to disassemble the thing to disable the
> firmware security or
> remove the disk.

Are you sure that there are no master passwords? I
have only had x86 computers so far and there have
always been master passwords for the BIOSs.

> depending on who stole it and thier intentions that
> won't do you any
> good, if they are after the data they will get it,
> unless you heavily
> encrypt it.

Yes I'm going to encrypt my data, but that would be
useless if you could easily install a trojan if I
leave it unattended for some minutes.

Regards
Russell