Re: vlc 0.2.82 debs available

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Josh Huber wrote:

} Well, DVDs play great in MacOS on my Lombard...do these have hardware
} DVD decoder support?  The mach64 probably doesn't help too much,
} right?

Yes - the Lombard does have a built-in hardware decoder ...  Take a look
at:

http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/hardware/Developer_Notes/Macintosh_CPUs-G3/PowerBookG3Series_1999/101_.d.html

This is provided you have the 400 MHz model, that came with a DVD-ROM
drive, and you did not buy that module later on yourself.  The 333 MHz
model came with a CD-ROM in the drive bay and I doubt would have had a
DVD-decoder card internally.

It would be nice to be able to support this card under linux, but that
would probably be harder than getting all the hardware optimizations in
the video card working. Would be interesting if that dedicated decoder
hardware works under OS X though. It would certainly be nice to be able
to hack and look at movies without having to worry (too much) about
system loading affecting your movie ;-)  Okay - forget I said that ...

cheers
vinai