Re: Getting the alt (option) key to work as Altgr

Håvard Wigtil wrote:

> I've set up a norwegian keyboard (heavily based on the swedish ;) that
> work perfectly on the console. But I can't get the option or command key
> to do anything under X, which means that i can't get a bar (norwegian
> alt+7) amongst others.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to get option to to work as AltGr does on a PC
> and to get command to work as alt (so I can switch consoles). I've done
> this a long time agon on LinuxPPC, but I've forgotten what I did.
>
> I've tried two different courses, both with the same result.
>
> 1) Set
>    Option "XkbDisable"
> in XF86Config
>
> 2) Set
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "macintosh"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "none"

I suspect the result is the same because Xkb is disabled in both cases.
"XkbModel" "none" sounds fishy... check the log. If Xkb is disabled, that
might explain why the modifiers don't work.

You should be able to get Xkb working by choosing the correct XkbModel and
setting your language code as XkbLayout.

>         Option          "RightAlt"      "ModeShift"

This probably wouldn't work anyway as both alt keys generate the same code.