Re: Is the iBook2 really good?

On 18 Aug 2001 03:46:15 -0700, Russell Williams wrote:

> --- Michel Dänzer <michdaen@iiic.ethz.ch> wrote:
> > Russell Williams wrote:
> > >
> > > Is the iBook2 really a good choice as an
> > inexpensive Debian notebook?
> >
> > Most definitely.

My "yeah" here also. The specs are pretty much like the older black
powerbook G3 ("Pismo") anyway. The more memory you can stuff in the
better, especially if you want to run MacOnLinux (www.maconlinux.net)
since you want to give about 128Mb to MacOS if you intend to do anything
useful with it (I run Illustrator on it, it works fine, but larger
graphics could use 256MB for the macos session, thus I could use 512MB
ram on this, currently it has 256 which is fine for just Linux use.

> Would the TiBook be worth the extra money?

There is quite a bit of that extra money in between an ibook and
tibook..

> > Do you absolutely need _Ximian_ GNOME? GNOME 1.4 is
> > in the main Debian
> > archive, and the Ximian debs tend to be worse
> > integrated into the system.
>
> I don't need Ximian Gnome but I would prefer it. Can I
> recompile it or will I have many problems with it?

Yes. You just want to stick to debian/stable then, as debian/unstable
and debian/testing are not supported by Ximian Gnome - It might work,
but you *will* face conflicting packages that try to overwrite each
others files, since debian/unstable and thus testing also are changing
rapidly and the packages are organized differently.

It should build out of the box from the source .debs though.

	deb-src http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main

is my apt-line.

> How long does it take to start Mozilla? (when running
> GNOME 1.4)

Mozilla works perfectly fine on my pismo, and it is slow to start even
on my desktop machine. But one doesnt start and close it all the time
anyway, I just keep it running all the time.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert@ximian.com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::