Re: Icebooks

James Tyson(james@samizdat.co.nz)@Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 08:36:13AM +1200:
> > Wow, it works!!!!!! sorta. Well, you're right, I got beep. As far as anything
> > else....well, I am figuring it is normal at this stage in the drivers....but
> > I will mention it just to make sure what I am seeing is the same as anyone
> > else: when I play an ogg or mp3 the sound is extremely distorted. It is till
> > very clearly the music I am expecting, but it sound a lot like the inputs are
> > being over driven. I have used set_eq to lower the volume...works great.
> > Shouldn't be hard to script up a little widget to run it until there is
> > something better.
> > 	Is there someplace I should check(the place I got the drivers from??) to see
> > if they have been updated at all? Is there a mini-mailing list of sorts?
> > Thanks again for the help and pointers.
>
> I assume that the distortion that you and I are both hearing is related to
> the unsigned/signed issue that is mentioned on the website.

I agree with that. I have swapped the translators of dmasound_core.c on my
icebook, and I can now listen music with xmms, at high volume (well with set_eq 1...).

Now that this ugly hack is working, it may be interesting to clean things
up to have the driver in the kernel. I'll try to do something, but I'm not
a driver writter ;-)

> Still, it's nice to see something working.

I say, it's nice to hear it worked ;-)

	Regards,

		Yves