not playing nicely

After RTFMing carefully, noting that all docs might have slight errors, etc,
I began my Debian PowerPC install via CD.  First I set up all the hard
drives, using the Apple Supplied "drive setup" or whatever it's called on
the MacOS-9 boot CD.  I intended to use MacOSX/MacOS9 on this laptop as
well, so I made a seperate partition for them... All told, here's how it
looked:

partition 1 -> 64MB Apple Unix Svr2 Root
partition 2 -> 65MB Apple Unix Svr2 Swap
partition 3 -> 7680MB Apple Unix Svr2 Root
partition 4 -> 7680MB Apple Unix Svr2 Root
partition 5 -> remainder for OSX, OS9 (HFS+)

partition 1 and 2, would later be merged using the debian partitioning
utility.  I would partition them into an 800k Apple_Bootstrap partition, and
a 128M Swap partition.  Partition 3 and 4 would be / and /home respectively.
First I setup the partition 5, OSX and OS9, then I tried to boot from the
debian cd.  It gets to the "booting..." and stops.  I've tried using options
"video=ofonly" "video=atyfb", neither of which worked.  I don't know what to
try next.  Any thoughts?
    -James Moss