Re: Linux Keycodes

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 09:58:23PM -0400, Russell Hires wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm reading all this discussion on the keycodes and such...but I don't quite
> understand. If there's some basic docs about this, point me to them. If there
> is a keymap (similar to the Mac OS desk accessory that shows each key and
> what it is and where it is on the keyboard, and even changes what keymap when
> you push on command/option/control) let me know where that is...

showkey in the console will show you the keycodes as you press keys.

> What are the main differences between the Mac OS keycodes and those of Linux?

linux keycodes are the same as used on i386, this way you can take any
USB keyboard plug it in your mac and have it work properly.  that
won't work with adb keycodes.

this also eliminates the need to maintain separate keymaps for
standard keyboards, no more need for a mac version and a i386 version
and a sparc version etc etc.

in short adb keycodes are legacy cruft, its time to move on.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/