Re: Titanium powerbook and oddities with 2.4.7 kernel

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 11:22:19AM -0400, J. Steinbachs wrote:
> I am using the 2.4.7-pre7benh20010719 kernel on a G4 Titanium laptop.  I
> have encountered a few oddities...
>
> After the machine has been on for a few hours, the airport card starts
> dropping packets.  Of course, during the time that the machine is on, the
> fan fails to activate entirely.  Under MacOS X or MacOS 9, the fan does
> activate, so I know that it is not a problem with the fan itself.  Also
> under MacOS X and MacOS 9, the airport card doesn't display the same
> problem with packet dropping.

I'm no mac/powerpc expert, these are just some general hints...
I only have a regular x86 laptop with linux :)

The packet dropping may be because the system is getting too hot, because
the fan isn't running ??? Is it getting warm/hot over time ??

The fan might not be running for 2 reasons
	1. Fan control might be software based, and linux doesn't have
	the appropriate software ???
	2. Linux is more power efficient, and won't make your system run
	as hot as to require the fan to go on. (in case of automatic fan
	control, hardware)

Option 2 off course means that the packet loss on the airport probably
won't be caused by heat...

Hope this helps...

(My laptop will turn off the keyboard when getting too hot,... really irritating)

Mark Janssen                         Unix Consultant @ SyConOS IT
E-mail: maniac@markjanssen.nl              GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
http: maniac.nl, unix-god.[net|org], markjanssen.[com|net|org|nl]