Re: ppp and powerbook

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:50:13PM -0400, Kevin Carney wrote:
> Recently I tried installing Debian 2.2r3 on my 2000 Powerbook (Pismo). This
> laptop is used in two different places, at work (with a LAN internet
> connection) and at home (with dialup service).  At work there is no problem
> using lynx to browse the web or using ping.  However (this is the problem)
> at home, with dialup service, I can connect to my ISP using wvdial or pon
> but I cannot do anything else.  At home, lynx cannot resolve hosts and ping
> does nothing.  I have another machine running linux at home (an intel box)
> and I can wvdial every time with no problems.  What gives?  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't turned down the ethernet interface, you may still have a
route set up for the local network and (through that) to the internet.

Run 'route -n'.  Where's your default route?

Having your powerbook use dhcp and request an ip address every time it's
booted/resumed will make your life easier.  Don't hard-code addresses (and
routes) -- get them from the environment and release them when going to
sleep.

						- chad

--
Chad Miller <cmiller@surfsouth.com>  | Policeman: You're playing God!
unix brujo, shutterbug, bookworm     | Dr. Hfuhruhurr: *Somebody* has to!