debian: gnome is slower with testing distro

I've been using testing for a while now on my Apple G4 laptop. I also use some unstable packages but the apt defaults are set to testing. I am using GNOME and Sawmill and I do an apt update/upgrade everyday. In the last month or so I have noticed that GNOME is *really* slow when invoking apps. eg. clicking on the gnome-terminal icon in the gnome-panel. Also, when saving the current session via the gnome menus, the message box that confirms the settings have been saved takes a long time to appear. I'm talking multiple seconds which is eons in computer terms.

Has anyone else noticed this problem ?
Any solutions or suggestions ?

Thanks,
Brendan Simon.