Re: [OT] Network file sharing

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:59:05PM +1000, Steven Hanley wrote:

> admittedly I and you both avoid macos to the extent of not having it installed
> or never booting into it, however I am pretty sure apple had to bow into the
> pressure annd make their desktop support the msot common network file system
> setup found in the corporate world a few years ago. I could boot into macos to
> confirm this but Ireally dont want ot. Every mac I have seen at uni has
> support for windows file sharing, and I am pretty sure it is standard in macos
> now days. (anyone else care to comment?)

if it was it was VERY well hidden, i never saw any evidence of such a
thing in all varients of OS8 (which is what i used before dumping
macos) or in 9.0 or 9.1 which i only breifly tinkered with.

> I seem to remmber windows file sharing being available in the chooser or
> whatever it is, and SMB printing also works from a standard macos install so
> hey.

not in any MacOS i have ever seen.  the proprietary, expensive
commercial addon adds things to the chooser... (dave i think its called.)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/