Re: upgrading testing?

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Mike Fedyk wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:34:03PM -0700, Wilhelm Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
> > package libnss-db due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad,
> > but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
> > E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libnss-db
> >

> > Should I go ahead and do as suggested, or am I going to hose my system?
> >
> Did you try apt-get dist-upgrade first?

dist-upgrade did help, in that it got apt to try and install all the stuff
that was being kept back, but it DIDN'T get me past the error described
above.  In order to do that, I wound up holding my breath and doing:

dpkg -r --force-remove-essential libnss-db

followed by apt-get install libnss-db

I think I was actually pretty safe.  According to the description of
libnss-db, you only need it if you are using db files for passwd or shadow
or stuff like that, which I'm pretty sure I'm not.

Anyway, after doing that, apt-get dist-upgrade is now grinding away
happily, hopefully I'll have a usuable system when it is done (fingers
crossed)

-raf