Getting Sound to work

Hello all,

I've got two problems with sound, actually. The first one is a mystery. I'm
running KDE, and I've got sound support in the kernel enabled. I read a
message in a previous post, from about 3-6 months ago, that talked about KDE
not having a working sound server for debian-powerpc. Is that still true?
It's a mystery because the System Bell works in the K -> Preferences -> Sound
panel. When I perform echo a random sound to /dev/audio, I hear just the
barest of clicking noises....I tried to use xmms, but it tells me that it
can't open audio.

Part II Just for fun, I wanted to see if I could play a CD. But, for some
reason, I'm unable to mount my CD player. mount /dev/cdrom gives me the
message: mount: special device /dev/cdrom does not exist. What can I do about
that?

I'm running woody on my Beige G3/266...

Thanks for the help!

Russell