help: crash during apt-get install

Hi. I had a crash on my laptop while running apt-get install.

The main problem seems to be some minor filesystem corruption,
concerning mainly the packages:

libglib1.2-dev
fdutils
fftw2

The error message I get is basically:

install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or directory.
dpkg: warning: old pre-removal script returned error exit status 2.
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead....
install-info: failed to lock dir for editing! No such file or
directory...

And then it fails.

Any ideas?

BTW, is there a way I can check overall system consistency in case there
are other gotchas there that I need to know about?

Phil
pgf@globalreach.net