Re: XFree86 4.1.0-0pre1v2 available for i386,powerpc,sparc

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 04:22:01AM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> Branden Robinson wrote:
> >
> > I'd like feedback on these packages, please, to the debian-x list.
>
> DRI is for Direct Rendering Infrastructure, not Interface.

Whoops.  And usually I'm such a stickler for correct terminology.  I'll
update the template.

> It seems you have applied my r128 Xv endianness fix, why don't you mention it
> in the changelog?

Because I am inconsistent about which ones I'm mentioning.  Strictly
speaking, I should redescribe all the patches because they've been
renumbered, but that strikes me as excessive.

> And why don't you apply the Dashed Bresenham fix as well?

Because I forgot about it, and don't know where it is.

> Also, some kind of patch adding -fPIC for building static libraries will have
> to be applied, or a lot of shared libraries will break on powerpc.

Gotta build *static* libraries with this flag so *shared* libs won't
break...got it.  I'll dig around in xc/config/cf/linux.cf and see if
there's something I can diddle for that.

I'm not sure which would be a greater mark of insanity: wanting to
understand why, or not wanting to.

> There have been a few posts about the problem to -powerpc (related to
> xmms and SDL), and a possible solution is being discussed on
> devel@XFree86.Org .

Okay, I'll grep through there.

> Thanks for your work,

Thanks for the feedback!

Do you want an xserver-xfree86 debconf question for "UseFBDev"?  I only
need to ask if [ -d /dev/fb ], correct?

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    Software engineering: that part of
Debian GNU/Linux                |    computer science which is too difficult